For over 15 years Melissa (Mel) Harms – Grossman has successfully trained horses for show at halter, reining, barrels, poles, ranch reining, trail, western pleasure and more recently ranch horse pleasure and western dressage. She enjoys starting colts, providing continuing education for started horses, finishing show horses & working to build confidence in trail horses. One of her most proud accomplishments is helping clients attain show goals of exhibiting at both AQHA and FQHR World Shows & earning a title of 2013 FQHR World Champion Ranch Riding along with several other top 10 awards.
- As a youth, Melissa belonged to the Chippewa County 4-H and FFA programs. Dedicated to sharing a positive 4-H experience with others, she served as The 4-H Educator in Jackson County, WI for 5 years. Mel also completed her 4-H Judges training.
- Do you have a son or daughter interested in pursuing 4-H participation? If so Mel is patient and passionate when working with youth. Her experience as a 4-H Judge, educator, and former competitor, can help novice to advanced riders get the most from their 4-H experience in a safe and fun way.
- Mel is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls where she earned her degree in Animal Science with an Equine Specialty major and a production minor.
- A background in equine health sets her apart. Her former vet tech experience helps to monitor the health of the horses in training, avoiding sour attitudes and long term injuries.
- You can be assured your horse's health will be expertly monitored and taken into consideration during training, saving you time and unnecessary worry.
- Her studies at UWRF allowed her to practice training methods with Professor Larry Kasten. After graduation, Mel worked with Sally Brown and Buck Hazeldine, owners of Fox Meadow Farm. Sally Brown is well known as a NRHA breeder and promoter known for her famous AQHA stallions Hollywood Jac 86 and Master Cowboy Jac. & Jacs Electric Spark.
- These opportunities afforded her practical hands on skills and the ability to successfully start and ride many top notch colts with excellent professional trainers as mentors.
- Mel's training skills can be used to tune up your show horse, solve behavior issues, finish your green horse, teach your horse excellent ground manners, restart a problem horse, as well as evaluate a prospective purchase.
- Woodloch Stable welcomed Mel as part of their equine team from 2010 - 2014 to train western horses and students. During that time, she trained many breeds of horses (Appaloosa, Quarter Horse, Tennessee Walking Horse, Warmblood, Oldenburg, Irish Draught, Irish Sport Horse, Paint, Saddlebred, Thoroughbred and Arabian.) Below is a partial list of Mel's involvement within the horse community.
- Founded a western dressage team that performed at 2013 Minnesota Western Dressage Symposium and the Woodloch Open House.
- Clinician at the 2013 Minnesota Western Dressage Symposium.
Coached owners, performed and trained horse placing from 1st (World Champion) to 6th place in varied classes at the FQHR World Show.
- Coached owner and trained 22 year old mare qualifying for the AQHA world show for the first time. (Ranch Horse Pleasure, now AQHA Ranch Riding)
- Assisted in re-starting the Hugo Horseshoes 4-H Club, in conjunction with 4-H adult volunteer leaders.
- Facilitated evaluations & purchasing of new client horses.
- Attended Wisconsisn Horse Council judging certification and Western Dressage of MN Judging and training.
Are you are looking to start a colt, tune up your horse, compete in the show ring, trail ride, or just have a good, safe broke horse? We invite you to give Melissa a call. Monthly training is available on a full time or part time basis. Contact Mel at SunRunner Ranch to discuss how we can best help you & your horse reach your goals.